Monday, August 6, 2007

This is Africa.

A quick update: I'm currently living with a host family in a medium-sized village (about 6,000 people) and taking French classes 4 to 5 hours per day, 7 days a week-- I'll be here for another 7 weeks, at which point I'll officially become a Peace Corps volunteer and will move to my permanent work site (where I will be for the next two years). I'm learning a ton, but still can't say all that much to my family, which is unfortunate.... and difficult at times. They are amazingly generous though, and have treated me very well. Life is very different here, but I am adjusting to the Malian culture and way of life more and more each day. Overall, I'm healthy, hydrated, and experiencing some challenging but good times:)
Click the photo link on the right side of the page for many more photos.
The Niger River-- the location of my language classes.
We sit in the shade under a mango tree.


The area surrounding my village.

My brothers and sisters.
These kids LOVE the camera!

My brothers and sisters.


About half of my host family:)

4 comments:

Leigha said...

Brooke! The pictures you posted are BEAUTIFUL, you are such the little photographer!

How cute are your brothers and sisters?! They seem like they are quite the characters, especially the little guy holding the balls under his chin, he's adorable!

Anonymous said...

That medium size village is sure bigger than Weaverville. ;-)

Anonymous said...

This is truly an amazing journey on which you are embarking. I wish you all the best with your efforts as a volunteer. You are going to make a world of difference over there! :)

Anonymous said...

You are a great photo taker.