Saturday, July 21, 2007

I'M HERE!

07/20/2007. Day one. Mood: exhausted, excited, HOT, and sweaty!

It is currently around midnight local time and I am sitting on my bed under a mosquito net in our training village of Tubaniso. We flew into the airport in the capital city of Bamako about 3 hours ago, and at the moment, I'm very hot and sweaty and about to spend my first night in Africa! A few highlights so far: (1) the toilet is called a "negen" and consists of a 6"x6" square hole cut in the concrete floor of a tiny structure, and we either stand, aim well, and pee into it, or squat, aim really well, and do our deed. Should be interesting; (2) a huge 1-eyed tortoise lives in our village and sleeps right outside of my house. Awesome! I have yet to see him. I'll take pictures when I do. There is also a small gazelle roped up around here somewhere. Haven't seen him yet either; (3) the locals have all been very friendly and helpful so far-- I love it! That's all for now. Long day tomorrow. Goodnight from Mali, West Africa. --Brookeabroad

3 comments:

Leigha said...

You Made it! =) I am so happy for you Brooke! Can not wait to hear more stories! Especially some of the "negen" as they're called....

Leigha said...

How was your first day with your host family?! POST PICTURES!!!

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it safe Brooke. Well if you get hungry, you can always bar-b-que the gazelle. It's already tied up. LOL
Love ya,
Uncle Bone